Whether or not it is smart to convert your garage into another room depends on your individual circumstances. There are both pros and cons to consider.
Pros of converting a garage into another room:
- More living space: This is the most obvious benefit of converting a garage. You will gain extra space that can be used for anything you want, such as a bedroom, office, playroom, or home gym.
- Increased property value: According to a study by the National Association of Realtors, a garage conversion can increase the value of your home by an average of 15%.
- Lower energy costs: A converted garage can be more energy-efficient than a traditional garage, as you will no longer need to heat or cool it.
- Easier to sell your home: A home with more living space is more likely to sell quickly and for a higher price.
Cons of converting a garage into another room:
- Loss of parking space: If you have multiple cars, you will need to find another place to park them. This may be difficult, especially if you live in a city or suburb.
- Increased noise: A converted garage is more likely to be noisy than a traditional garage, as it will be closer to your living space. This could be a problem if you have young children or light sleepers.
- Increased humidity: A converted garage is more likely to be humid than a traditional garage, as it will be closer to your home's HVAC system. This could lead to mold and mildew growth.
- Increased cost: Converting a garage into another room can be a costly project. You will need to pay for the materials and labor, as well as any permits that may be required.